Sunday, November 22, 2009

World Vision - How Do You Get My Goat?




I'm sure that most of you are familiar with the World Vision projects involving the giving of goats, and such other farm stuffs, as gifts to developing and underpriveledged areas around the world. When I received the gift guide this year, I thumbed through it, and a puzzling question came to mind. Where do these goats come from? Yes it sounds silly and naive at first, but if you think about it, it must be pretty difficult to organize these goats. The booklet informs readers that whenever possible, gifts are purchased locally.


Some questions that come to mind;

- If there is a huge goat order, how do they cover the goat quota?
- Are there backup World Vision goat farms?
- Can goats be substituted?
- If the local farms are short three goats, are they shipped in?
- How much does it cost to ship three goats?
- Does World Vision have their own goat farmers for this project?
- What happens if a bunch of the goats die? do they get different goats?
- Who pays for the goat shipping?
- Why is there a need to organize the getting of goats in the first place?
- Is there goat wheeling and dealing going on?
- Is goat now a currency?

I guess what I am trying to say is that the whole process doesn't make sense to me. They say the goats are bought locally, but if the entire area is in need and so desperate for goats in the first place, then who is this corporate goat farmer twiddling his fingers in anticipation behind barn doors? There is a large variety of livestock to choose from. How on earth do they organize all of this - especially in areas that a drought, famined and at a loss for goats to begin with?

Its a wonderful idea, and seems successful if taken metaphorically. However, the booklet is specific. If they say you are buying a goat for someone, then a goat they shall have. But at what cost comes this goat? Maybe they would be better off just handing over the time and money it takes to organize this program, into the village immediately - extreme drought makeover style.

I am aware that the gig is a marketing concept, and an effective one I am sure. People would love to say they bought a fuzzy bunny, porky piggy or chirpy chicky to aid in World Vision efforts. It is unfortunate for us that we need this gimmick to entice people to do so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just gave to immunise a child in need through unicef.
Same idea. Choose water tablets, education packages, etc. etc. It was a catalog (kind of like the sears wish book except for unicef)
I am guilty. I do not think I would have given if it was not specific. I like knowing where my money is going. I do not find every cause worth while and I would of hated my money ending up in an area that I thought non beneficial.
Still there is a level of trust. I hope it actually makes it where it is suppose to go.
Great article Shane! I enjoy them.